Parker House Rolls
Parker House Rolls
Yield: 40-44 rolls (If you're going through the effort- mine as well make some to share!)
1 C Brown Butter, warmed (12 TB in dough, 4 TB reserved for brushing on top)
1.5 C Buttermilk (110 degrees)
4.5 tsp Yeast
6 tbsp Honey
2 lg Eggs, room temp
1 tbsp Salt
2 tbsp Sage, finely chopped
1 tbsp Thyme, finely chopped
6 C (780 g) All purpose flour
Additional Herbs, Brown butter w/ Lemon zest, and Maldon reserved for garnish on rolls
- Whisk the warm milk, yeast and 2 TB honey together in bowl of the stand mixer. Loosely cover, and allowed to sit for 5 to 10 minutes and bloom yeast. The mixture should become foamy.
- Once bloomed, add the remaining honey, eggs, 12 tablespoons of warm brown butter, salt, herbs, 2 cups of flour. With the hook attachment mix for 30 seconds, scrape down the sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula then add remaining flour.
- Mix on medium speed until dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl about two minutes. Check the consistency. If the dough is too wet and you are not able to knead properly add in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time to achieve the correct consistency.
- Knead the dough for an additional three minutes and then transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover. Allow dough to rise in a warm environment for 1.5-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Line 4 cast iron pans with parchment for baking.
- Shape the rolls. To shape rolls divide the dough in half with bench scraper. Take one of the halves and divide into 6 equal portions. Divide those 6 portions into 11 balls (cut the 6 portions in half and leave the smallest as its own ball). Repeat with the other half of the dough. Shape dough balls making sure they are smooth and even. Place in cast irons pans.
- Allow the dough to rise for a second time in a warm area for 45-60 minutes.
- Brush rolls with egg wash. Bake rolls in a 325° oven for 17 minutes rotating halfway through.
- Remove rolls from the oven and brush with brown butter, garnish with herbs, lemon zest and maldon.
- Allow to completely cool before storing.